Tyler Willis is an entrepreneur and investor. He specializes in helping early-stage technology companies scale to world-class businesses.
Willis is the co-founder of Connective, an early-stage startup. He also co-founded and serves on the Board of Directors for two non-profits Nomadic Mentors (supporting international entrepreneurship) and Stop100 (organizing resistance to Trump's policy goals).
Previously, Willis served as the Chief Marketing Officer of Hired, a marketplace that gives people better career options and more control over their choices. Prior to Hired, he was the VP of Business and Corporate Development at Unified (a privately held data management company), the Director of Marketing at Involver (grew to over two million customers before being acquired by Oracle), and a growth advisor to BranchOut (grew to over twenty-five million users before being acquired by Hearst).
As an investor, I backs technology companies with either deep technical achievement or a novel sociological insight. I have invested in seed-stage companies that have gone on to raise significant additional investment from Khosla Ventures, Index Ventures, Founders Fund and others. Select investments include Patreon (helped creators earn over $100M), Lyft (did $700M in revenue in 2016), and Classpass (over 20 million fitness classes booked).
Willis is an occasional author and public speaker. He has given well-received talks at companies and conferences across the world, including Microsoft, Oracle, MIT, South by Southwest, and the American Marketing Association. His presentations on innovation, entrepreneurship, and marketing, have been described as “very insightful and educational with an excellent ability to balance trends, techniques and strategies with concrete advice and real-life examples.”
Selected Press, Speaking Engagements and Awards:
- Bloomberg Markets, Tech Billionaire Made in France Seeds Paris Entrepreneur
- Sole24Ore, Interview on International Investing in Silicon Valley [in italian]
- VentureBeat, An Angel Investor’s Ultimate Guide to AngelList Syndicates
- MIT Tech Conference (Boston, MA)
- Seattle Interactive Conference (Seattle, WA)
- South By Southwest (Austin, TX)
- Microsoft Webcamp (Mountain View, CA)
- American Marketing Association (Chicago, IL)
- Facebook Studio, 2012 Bronze Award
(awarded on behalf of work done for EVB and Skittles)
- Stanford University, Certificate of Recognition
(awarded from the Persuasive Technology Lab)
- OMMA, 2008 Best Integrated Marketing Campaign
(awarded on behalf of work done for Serena Software)
- Society for New Community Research, Award of Excellence
(awarded on behalf of work done for PUMA)