Tyler Willis is an entrepreneur and investor. Willis specializes in helping early-stage technology companies scale to world-class businesses.
Most recently, he served as the Chief Marketing Officer of Hired, a marketplace that gives people better career options and more control over their choices. Prior to Hired, he led marketing at Involver (over two million customers, acquired by Oracle), partnerships and m&a at Unified (over six hundred large enterprise customers), and advised BranchOut (over twenty-five million users, acquired by Hearst) on growth.
As an investor, Willis looks for companies with either deep technical achievement or deep sociological insight, and has invested in seed-stage companies that have gone on to raise significant additional investment from Khosla Ventures, Index Ventures, Founders Fund and others. Select investments include Patreon (delivering over two million dollars a month to creators), Soma Water (over ten thousand active subscribers), and Change.org (more than eighty million users).
Willis is an occasional author and public speaker. He has given well-received talks at companies and conferences across the world, including Microsoft, Oracle, MIT, South by Southwest, and the American Marketing Association. His presentations on innovation, entrepreneurship, and marketing, have been described as “very insightful and educational with an excellent ability to balance trends, techniques and strategies with concrete advice and real-life examples.”
Selected Press, Speaking Engagements and Awards:
- Bloomberg Markets, Tech Billionaire Made in France Seeds Paris Entrepreneur
- Sole24Ore, Interview on International Investing in Silicon Valley [in italian]
- VentureBeat, An Angel Investor’s Ultimate Guide to AngelList Syndicates
- MIT Tech Conference (Boston, MA)
- Seattle Interactive Conference (Seattle, WA)
- South By Southwest (Austin, TX)
- Microsoft Webcamp (Mountain View, CA)
- American Marketing Association (Chicago, IL)
- Facebook Studio, 2012 Bronze Award
(awarded on behalf of work done for EVB and Skittles)
- Stanford University, Certificate of Recognition
(awarded from the Persuasive Technology Lab)
- OMMA, 2008 Best Integrated Marketing Campaign
(awarded on behalf of work done for Serena Software)
- Society for New Community Research, Award of Excellence
(awarded on behalf of work done for PUMA)