Tyler Willis is an entrepreneur and investor. He specializes in helping early-stage technology companies scale to world-class businesses.
Willis is the founder and Chief Marketing Officer of Customer Science, which uses machine learning to help Fortune 500 companies identify opportunities to serve their customers better. He also serves on the Board of Directors for Acre Designs, the Rare Cancer Research Foundation and The Turing School of Software and Design.
Previously, Willis served as the Chief Marketing Officer of Hired, a career marketplace that raised over $100 Million to help talented people find jobs they love. Prior to Hired, Willis was the VP of Business and Corporate Development at Unified (a successful privately-held data management company), the Director of Marketing at Involver (which grew to over two million customers before being acquired by Oracle), and a growth advisor to BranchOut (which grew to over twenty-five million users before being acquired by Hearst). Willis was a member of the founding team (joined pre-product) of both Unified and Involver, he also co-founded a non-profit called Nomadic Mentors, which evens the playing field for international entrepreneurs and has worked with over 10,000 founders globally.
As an angel investor, Willis backs technology companies with either deep technical achievement or a novel sociological insight. He has invested in seed-stage companies that have gone on to raise significant additional investment from Khosla Ventures, Index Ventures, Founders Fund, Kleiner Perkins and others. Select investments include Patreon (helped creators earn over $100M), Lyft (did $700M in revenue in 2016), and Classpass (over 20 million fitness classes booked).
Willis is an occasional author and public speaker. He has given well-received talks at companies and conferences across the world, including Microsoft, Oracle, MIT, South by Southwest, and the American Marketing Association. His presentations on innovation, entrepreneurship, and marketing, have been described as “very insightful and educational with an excellent ability to balance trends, techniques and strategies with concrete advice and real-life examples.”
Selected Press, Speaking Engagements and Awards:
- Bloomberg Markets, Tech Billionaire Made in France Seeds Paris Entrepreneur
- Sole24Ore, Interview on International Investing in Silicon Valley [in italian]
- VentureBeat, An Angel Investor’s Ultimate Guide to AngelList Syndicates
- MIT Tech Conference (Boston, MA)
- Seattle Interactive Conference (Seattle, WA)
- South By Southwest (Austin, TX)
- Microsoft Webcamp (Mountain View, CA)
- American Marketing Association (Chicago, IL)
- Facebook Studio, 2012 Bronze Award
(awarded on behalf of work done for EVB and Skittles)
- Stanford University, Certificate of Recognition
(awarded from the Persuasive Technology Lab)
- OMMA, 2008 Best Integrated Marketing Campaign
(awarded on behalf of work done for Serena Software)
- Society for New Community Research, Award of Excellence
(awarded on behalf of work done for PUMA)